Frequently Asked Questions

What documents are acceptable as proof of identity and foreign status?

The IRS has streamlined the number of documents the agency will accept as proof of identity to obtain an ITIN. There are now 13 acceptable documents.

An original passport is the only
document that is accepted for both identity and foreign status. If you do
not have a passport, you must provide a combination of current documents
that contain expiration dates, show your name and photograph, and support your claim of foreign status.

The IRS will accept a combination (two or more) of the following documents, in lieu of a passport:

  • National identification card (must show photo, name, current address, date of birth, and expiration date)
  • U.S. driver’s license
  • Civil birth certificate
  • Foreign driver’s license
  • U.S. state identification card
  • Foreign voter’s registration card
  • U.S. military identification card
  • Foreign military identification card
  • Visa
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo identification
  • Medical records (dependents only)
  • School records (dependents and/or students


Supporting Documentation
Can be used to establish:
Foreign status
Passport (the only stand-alone document)

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)photo identification

Visa issued by U.S. Department of State
U.S. driver’s license
U.S. military identification card
Foreign driver’s license
Foreign military identification card
National identification card (must be current and contain name, photograph, address, date of birth and expiration date)
U.S. state identification card
Foreign voter’s registration card
Civil birth certificate
Medical records (valid only for dependents under age 14 (under age 18 if a student))
School records (valid only for dependents under age 14 (under age 18 if student))
*Can be used to establish foreign status only if they are foreign documents.

 Frequently Asked Questions ITIN
Q. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number or ITIN – What is It?

A. An ITIN refers to Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. These ITINs are often used by non-resident aliens and resident who are not qualified to get a Social Security number and required to file taxes like U.S. tax return.

Q. What is the task of a Certifying Acceptance Agent?

A. A CAA or Certifying Acceptance Agent assists foreign individuals and aliens acquire an ITIN from the Internal Revenue Service. This person is authorized by the IRS to examine documentation, complete a certificate of accuracy and submit it to the IRS to be processed.

Q. Do I Need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number?

A. If you do not qualify for an SSN or if you are a foreign individual and you have tax filing or reporting requirements, you need this ITIN.

Q. Can I use my ITIN to claim generated income tax?

A. No. Based on Section 32 of the Internal Revenue Code, you cannot claim generated income tax credit.

Q. Does an ITIN alter my immigration status?

A. No. An ITIN does not alter your immigration status. It is doesn’t give you legal employment in the United States.

Q. Is an ITIN and SSN the same?

A. No. ITIN and SSH are not the same. An ITIN does not give you Social Security benefits and earned income tax credit. It also cannot be utilized as identification or for work purposes.

Q. If I am eligible for a SSN, can I use my ITIN?

A. No. If you are qualified for a SSN, you must apply for it with the Social Security Administration. Thus, you cannot use the ITIN.

Q. Do I have to run payroll if I have an S Corp?

A. Yes. One of the main conditions to become an S Corp is that it must run a reasonable amount of compensation to its owners.

Q. How do I apply for an ITIN?

A. If you will come into our office, you don’t have to worry on how to apply for an ITIN. You just need to bring your W-2 Form, Form 1098 (if any), Form 1099 and your passport. Then, we will complete all of the forms needed to get the ITIN. If you cannot come into our office, consider the question below.

Q. Do I have to come into the office to apply for ITIN?

A. No. If you don’t have enough time or access come into our office (example if you live out of the country), you may use our drop off service through email or client portal. Once we got your documents, we will send you a confirmation email. Then, we will complete a draft of your tax return and either email or upload it to you. We will call you and go over the draft thoroughly to guarantee it is accurate. Once everything is precise and complete, we will email or upload the return for your signature. The return will need to be signed by both the spouse (if applicable) and taxpayer. The applicant is also required to sign the ITIN application. If the applicant is a minor, one of his/her parents can sign for them. Then, you need to Fed Ex the ITIN applicant’s passport, marked tax return, copy of the W2, and the marked ITIN application to our office. Once we acquired your documents, we will do a video conference to confirm your accuracy and identity. We will then process everything through the Fed Ex and IRS your passport back to you.

Q. What can I use to give proof of foreign status and identity?

A. Acceptance Agent Services will accept an unexpired an original passport with the latest valid visa because it shows proof of your identity and foreign status.

Q. When should I apply?

A. You can apply for an ITIN anytime this year. But, you will need to have the W-7 completed and attached to your federal income tax. This is a must if you don’t want to pay penalties. Thus, it is best to have the form completed as early as you are ready to file your taxes.

Q. How long before I receive my ITIN?

A. The standard time to receive an ITIN is about three to four weeks. Applications mailed during peak handing out times (usually from January 15 to April 30) or from abroad may take more or less eight to ten weeks.

A. You can always contact us by phone or email. Our recommended way of communication is through email.